May 12, 2009

Jen's W.I.P. - Tetris Bookmark

I have started yet another small project. I am making this for my sister who is a reader more than anyone I know. She also loves Tetris (only after I introduced her to it). I have combined the two things to make a Tetris bookmark.

I designed it myself! Woo! I started by making my own Tetris blocks in MS Paint.










After this step, I created a 3 by 10 block grid. I messed with that for about an hour until I got a pattern I was happy with. The only block I ended up not using was the blue "I". I also used the "W" like one twice. I had two left over squares in the grid, so I am using those to "sign and date" the project.
















Once I had this done, I cut a piece of 14 ct. 100% white cotton Aida from a new roll. I taped off the edges to prevent fraying.












I started working on that piece, but messed up the first row horribly. I re-cut fabric and taped it (not pictured). This time, I used a piece of white DFN cotton thread to grid off the top row and the left column (also not pictured). I currently have 3 of 80 rows completed.










I am using DFN cotton thread for the whole project. As for finishing it, I am currently contemplating this. I think I might try using some double sided tape to tape a slightly smaller piece of fabric to the back of the finished bookmark. Then I would like to try cutting a piece of white sewing fabric to size and sewing it to the back. I am not sure. I have not found a finishing style that I really want to try yet.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer! :~)

    Thx so much for stopping by my blog & for your lovely comments. I really appreciate it! :~)

    Wow!!! I absolutely LOVE your tetris bookmark! What an awesome & creative idea! I can't wait to watch your progress on it. It's looking great so far!

    I look forward to getting to know you more & seeing more of your stitching! :~)

    Margie

    ReplyDelete